Wag 'n' Walk Adoption Hikes
The award-winning Wag N’ Walk Adoption Hike program begin in October and runs through April -- taking advantage of cooler weather and allowing shelter dogs the chance to enjoy it, too. Partnering with Maricopa County Parks and Recreation, volunteers bring dogs from MCACC’s East Valley Animal Care Center to Usery Mountain Regional Park in Mesa. Hikers (canine and human) meet at the park’s Merkle Trail for an easy one mile, barrier free hike. The program features dogs that would make great active companions and provides hikers the chance to meet and see the dogs outside of the shelter environment.
All dogs come to the hikes with their adoption paperwork to allow for on-site adoptions should hikers fall in love with a new furry hiking companion. While MCACC always hopes for adoptions, if a dog is not adopted, the hikes still provide a great opportunity for animals to get out of their kennels for some exercise and socialization.
Hikers meet at the trail the first Saturday of every month at 8:45am to begin hiking at 9 a.m. There is a $6 per car park entry fee.
The agencies encourage the public to consider adopting a shelter dog. While there are several benefits to shelter adoptions, taking a dog out of the shelter environment and giving it a home where it otherwise would not have had one, is the greatest benefit of them all.
Usery Mountain Regional Park
2017 Program Schedule:
- April 1 - 9 am to 10:30 am - Meet in Area 6
2018 Program Schedule:
- October 7 - 9 am to 10:30 am
- November 4 - 9 am to 10:30 am
- December 2- 9 am to 10:30 am
- January 6 - 9 am to 10:30 am
- February 3 - 9 am to 10:30 am
- March 3 - 9 am to 10:30 am
- April 7 - 9 am to 10:30 am
For more information and to see adoptable animals visit www.maricopa.gov/pets or any one of MCACC’s three locations:
- West Valley Care Center: 2500 S. 27th Avenue Phoenix, AZ 85009
- East Valley Care Center: 2630 E. Rio Salado Parkway Mesa, AZ 85201
- PetSmart Charities Everyday Adoption Center: 4380 N. Miller Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85251