100 Miles in 100 Days Challenge
100 Mile Challenge Begins
NOVEMBER 1, 2022 - FEBRUARY 8, 2023
Welcome to the 2023 100 Mile Challenge! Each year, the 100 Miles in 100 Challenge grows as we challenge park visitors to get outside and connect with nature. With more than 515 miles of trails, Maricopa County regional park system provides the perfect venue for hiking, trail running, mountain biking, and horseback riding.
The goal of the self-guided challenge is to log 100 miles in 100 days (200 miles for mountain bikers and/or horseback riders); however, many individuals set personal goals going well beyond the 100 miles. In 2022, members from the Challenge team logged:
- 1,000 miles - 1 participants
- 500-999 miles - 11 participants
- 400-499 miles - 7 participants
- 300-399 miles - 15 participants
- 200-299 miles - 73 participants
- 100-199 miles - 501 participants
While we do give away an Annual Pass and $25 Retail Center voucher to one lucky recipient at the end of the program (just ask Nathan Brummer, our 2022 winner), most Challenge members participate in the program to connect with nature and meet new friends. If you would like to see the complete list of fun facts for 2022, click here.
So, lace up your hiking boots and running shoes, dust off your mountain bikes, and saddle up those horses - let's have a little fun together for the next 100 days!
AT A GLANCE: The 100 Mile Challenge is a self-guided program. However, please know that you have access to a team of individuals who are eager to answer your questions, and support you when the going gets tough. Below are the steps you'll need to follow to complete the Challenge.
PROGRAM GUIDELINES: Welcome to the 2023 Challenge! The program officially begins at 6 a.m. on November 1, 2022, and closes at 4 p.m. on February 8, 2023.
Remember, the goal is dependent on the mode you choose to complete the Challenge...
||No. of Miles Needed
A combination of any two methods. The ratio for this challenge is 75% (primary mode) / 25% (secondary mode). For example, if you decide your primary mode is trail running (100 miles) and your secondary mode is mountain biking (200 miles), you must run 75 miles, and the remaining 50 miles must be completed on your mountain bike for a total of 125 miles.
REGISTRATION: ALL participants are required to complete a short registration form. The information collected helps us to communicate important program updates with you throughout the Challenge.
You will NOT receive a confirmation notice from Survey Monkey once you have completed this step. You do not need to register multiple times. This registration process is not connected to the app and you will be asked again to register for the app if you are using this method to log miles.
LOGS: Throughout the Challenge, you'll be logging your miles to show you've achieved your 100/200-mile goal. This may be done using the tools below:
App. Here's the information you'll need to access the app:
Electronic Log: If you are someone who doesn't like messing with spreadsheets, let us do the work for you.
- Simply fill out the electronic log submission form - Elog Submission Form (www.surveymonkey.com/r/2023ElogSubmission) - and we take care of the data entry on the back end.
- Once you've submitted your form, your data will be manually transferred into the spreadsheet by our team. You do not enter the mileage yourself. You will view your mileage on the electronic log by clicking here or visiting https://bit.ly/2023Elog.
- Participants will be identified by their last name and first initial on the log.
- The set-up process could take up to 72 hours.
- Please keep in mind that the mileage for those participating in the electronic log will be on display for all to see.
- NOTE: The web-based app will be replacing the Elog in 2024. We recommend transitioning over to this method so you become familiar with the new process.
- Tracking apps: Note this is different than the Challenge Program App. While we cannot recommend apps to help you track your miles, several Challenge members do have favorites. Below is a short list of what current members are using:
- Jessica: Under Armour Map My Hike
- Roger: Strava
- Carol: Fitbit
- Carla: Map My Hike and Strava
- Electronic logs will be accepted through 4 pm on February 8, 2023. Late logs will NOT be accepted.
THREE PARK MINIMUM: Participants must visit a minimum of THREE Maricopa County regional parks OR TWO Maricopa County regional parks and the Maricopa/Sun Circle Trail to complete the Challenge.
- Our team understands that you have your favorite trails managed by city, state, and national parks. However, this program is managed and operated by funding from the Maricopa County Parks and Recreation Department.
If you would like to trek in a park managed by another agency, we encourage you to continue doing so. But, please note, that we are unable to count that mileage towards the Maricopa County Parks and Recreation Departments' 100 Miles in 100 Days Challenge.
- All trails found on this page are part of the 100 Mile Challenge - https://www.maricopacountyparks.net/maps/.
- The Maricopa Trail segments, which are also included in the Challenge, can be found at - https://www.maricopacountyparks.net/park-locator/maricopa-trail/trail-maps/.
SUBMIT LOGS: YAY...you've finished your Challenge!!! What do you do now? All treks must be recorded no later than 4 p.m. on February 8, 2023. Since everyone is participating electronically this season, your logs are submitted automatically.
BRAND: We will be going with the Next Level line again this season.
COLOR: The color choices this season are:
- military green, and
If you would like to change your color choice, let us know, and we will update your account.
SIZE: Below are the links for the shirt specs:
ELOG PARTICIPANTS ONLY:
- Please send us an email (100MileChallenge@maricopa.gov) with your name/shirt color/shirt size/pickup location. We will enter your data into the order form on the backend.
- The order will be placed with the vendor on February 9, 2023.
- This order will contain EXACTLY what the participants who completed the Challenge identified on their account in the app (i.e., size and color).
- The department does not keep extra shirts on hand for exchanges.
- Please look at the size chart(s) and ensure you have ordered the appropriate size.
- The shirts will be available at the parks on Saturday, March 18, 2023. for pickup.
- The parks will receive a master list with the names of all participants who successfully completed the Challenge.
- Tell one of our team members in the park’s nature center your name, and they will pull your shirt from their shipment.
- Remember, the name you provide them must be the name you registered your account under on the app. If you go by a nickname and registered under your given name, our team may not be able to locate you on the master list.
- While we’ve enjoyed hosting celebrations in the program’s early years, we no longer have the staffing or funding to do so. As the number of individuals participating in the program has grown and we’ve moved towards electronic resources to track miles, our costs for the free program have increased. We appreciate all who participated this season and hope you enjoyed your experience!
ANNUAL PASS AND RETAIL CENTER VOUCHER:
- Once the annual pass/retail center voucher winner has been selected, we will push the information out on the app and the program’s Facebook page. Good luck everyone!
- After the program concludes, we will be sending out a short follow-up survey to see how we can improve next season.
COMMUNITY PAGE: We understand that it can be hard to stay motivated for 100 days, so we hope you will join our Facebook page. The community page is a great way to connect with others participating in the Challenge, share your success stories, find the motivation you need during the holidays, and participate in fun activities!
PARK PROGRAMS: Whether you're new to Maricopa County's regional park system or looking to mix up your Challenge this season, our interpretive rangers offer a wide variety of programs. A trek with a ranger is also a great way to meet fellow Challenge members. To view upcoming programs, visit our program and events calendar.