Spur Cross Ranch is the newest addition to Maricopa County's Regional Park System. On January 9, 2001 documents were signed by then Governor Jane Hull for the state of Arizona, Supervisor Jan Brewer for Maricopa County and Mayor Vincent Francia for the town of Cave Creek ensuring the conservation of this 2,154 acre ranch. Spur Cross Ranch is designated a "Limited use public recreation and conservation area," Tentative plans include the development of a visitor’s center, restrooms, and a trail system to selected archeological sites.
A prime example of high Sonoran Desert, Spur Cross Ranch incorporates both valley floor and spectacular rock outcroppings rising almost 4,000 feet into the mesas above.
One of the last remaining year-round spring-fed streams in Cave Creek flows through Spur Cross. Its banks are covered with plants and trees, including mesquite, cottonwoods and willows. Abundant water and plant life make this a home to many species of animals including javelina, mule deer, and coyotes. Over 80 species of birds have been observed in this habitat, per Audubon bird counts. Beyond the banks of the stream lies one of the region's densest stands of saguaro cactus. The park contains nearly 90 archaeological sites used by the Hohokam Indians between 700 - 1200 A.D. Hohokam petroglyphs dot the area. Both the Hopi and the Fort McDowell Mohave-Apache Indian communities have identified Spur Cross Ranch as a sacred place.