Permitted Use Days:
UPDATE (as of 4/4/19): Thank you for your interest and continued support in Maricopa County Parks and Recreation Department’s ongoing effort to restore the Agua Fria Conservation Area. The Department understands that the area is considered by anglers to be a prime fishing spot during the springtime and has developed a plan to allow motorized vehicles towing small trailers/watercraft access to the shoreline boat launch in the area for a limited time while water levels are at adequate levels and staffing is available.
The bald eagle closure shall be lifted Friday, April 5, 2019, at 12 p.m. The boat launch at Agua Fria will not be accessible this season, but access to the Agua Fria conservation area via the waterways from the main and north entries of Lake Pleasant.
Access for walk-in traffic is currently available on a daily basis and will be permitted from the upper parking area. Please use the self-pay station at this location for entry and remain on designated trails or along the disturbed shoreline only. Check fee schedule for current park entry fees. Please have cash, exact change is required, as an entry station is not yet available in this area. For folks interested in accessing the Agua Fria arm by boat from the main entrance side, the area will remain inaccessible until June 15, 2019, when the bald eagle closure is lifted, unless otherwise noted.
When opening dates are available, they will be listed below. Times may be subject to change due to staffing availability, poor weather conditions, riverbed flowing, etc. Always check website for updates before heading out to visit. For additional information on the area, please direct your questions to the Park Entry Station at (602) 506-2930.
Check website for possible changes to opening dates prior to arrival (i.e., due to weather conditions, staffing issues, etc...). Please have cash, exact change is required. Check fee schedule for current park entry fees. For additional information on the area, please direct your questions to the Park Entry Station at (602) 506-2930.
Rules for Use:
To ensure a safe, enjoyable experience for all and responsible usage of the area, please observe the following rules:
- No access will be permitted within the Bald Eagle Closure areas when in effect. The closure areas are marked with buoys, fencing and signage (see map for details). Illegal access within the closure areas may result in fines, citations, other penalties, and a closure of the Agua Fria Boat Ramp area.
- The area is open from 6:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., unless otherwise posted.
- Non-motorized travel only permitted on designated trails or along riverbed outside of eagle closure areas – no shoreline access west from the boat launch area.
- The accessible portion of the Lake within the Agua Fria is a no wake zone.
- No shooting allowed in the area.
- Pack it in, pack it out. Do not litter or leave trash in the area.
Seasonal Bald Eagle Closure: During certain breeding stages (courtship, mating, incubation, young nestlings and nestlings near fledging), human activity near a Bald Eagle nest can cause nest abandonment and/or failure. Established breeding area closures reduce loss by managing human activities near nest sites. Areas closed during breeding season have been highlighted on the maps below.
NOTE: The Bald Eagle Closure is typically in effect from December 15 - June 15*. Access to the lower arm of the Agua Fria is closed to all entry while the bald eagle closure is in effect.