Permitted Use Days:
UPDATE (as of 6/18/18): Due to low water levelsfor the Agua Fria Conservation Area, the Agua Fria boat launch area will remain closed until further notice. Maricopa County's Parks and Recreation Department will continue to monitor the situation closely, and provide updates as soon as they become available. Please check back in March 2019 for updates, when water levels are typically at their highest.
Access for walk-in traffic is currently available on a daily basis and will be permitted from the upper parking area. Please use the self-pay station at this location for entry and remain on designated trails or along the disturbed shoreline only. For folks interested in accessing the Agua Fria arm by boat from the main entrance side, the area will remain accessible until December 15, 2018, when the bald eagle closure is implemented again next season,
Thank you for your interest and continued support in Maricopa County Parks and Recreation Department’s ongoing effort to restore the Agua Fria Conservation Area. The Department understands that the area is considered by anglers to be a prime fishing spot during the springtime and has developed a plan to allow motorized vehicles towing small trailers/watercraft access to the shoreline for a limited time when water levels are appropriate. Opening dates for motorized vehicles are as follows:
Opening days for Spring/Summer 2019
|To be announced
||To be announced
||To be announced
The area will be open from 6:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. on the dates above.
Check website for possible changes to opening dates prior to arrival (i.e., due to weather conditions, staffing issues, etc...). Please have cash, exact change is required. Check fee schedule for current park entry fees. For additional information on the area, please direct your questions to the Park Entry Station at (928) 501-1710.
Rules for Use:
To ensure a safe, enjoyable experience for all and responsible usage of the area, please observe the following rules:
- No access will be permitted within the Bald Eagle Closure areas when in effect. The closure areas are marked with buoys, fencing and signage (see map for details). Illegal access within the closure areas may result in fines, citations, other penalties, and a closure of the Agua Fria Boat Ramp area.
- The area is open from 6:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., unless otherwise posted. You must exit back through the entrance gate no later than 5:00 p.m., or your vehicle will be towed. No exceptions.
- Motorized travel is allowed only on the designated road or within the parking areas. Do not depart from the one route leading to and from the designated parking area and/or boat launch ramp (when available).
- Non-motorized travel only permitted on designated trails or along riverbed outside of eagle closure areas – no shoreline access west from the boat launch area.
- The accessible portion of the Lake within the Agua Fria is a no wake zone.
- No shooting allowed in the area.
- Pack it in, pack it out. Do not litter or leave trash in the area.
Seasonal Bald Eagle Closure: During certain breeding stages (courtship, mating, incubation, young nestlings and nestlings near fledging), human activity near a Bald Eagle nest can cause nest abandonment and/or failure. Established breeding area closures reduce loss by managing human activities near nest sites. Areas closed during breeding season have been highlighted on the maps below.
NOTE: The Bald Eagle Closure is typically in effect from December 15 - June 15*. Access to the lower arm of the Agua Fria is closed to all entry while the bald eagle closure is in effect.