For nearly two decades, the Maricopa County Parks and Recreation Department (Parks) has worked closely with The Nature Conservancy (TNC), Bureau of Land Management Phoenix District Office (BLM), and the Town of Wickenburg to expand recreational services in the northwest portion of our county. Below is a condensed timeline of actions that have taken place over the years to bring additional recreational services to the area:
- 2006: Discussions began between Parks and BLM regarding cooperative recreation management in the Vulture Mountains.
- 2009: Parks was awarded a grant from BLM to create a recreation activity plan and cooperative management agreement.
- BLM and Parks began working with the town of Wickenburg, the Wickenburg Chamber of Commerce, and several community stakeholders on a Recreation Area Management Plan (RAMP). The purpose of the RAMP is to set public policies regarding recreation use, land management, and supporting facility development.
- 2010: Parks selected EPG as the planning consultant in preparing the RAMP.
- 2012: Maricopa County Board of Supervisors approved Vulture Mountains Cooperative Recreation Management Area Master Plan.
- 2017: Parks and TNC entered into an agreement to have Parks manage a 65-acre parcel of the Hassayampa River Preserve. Since then, the department has improved the property and expanded service offerings.
- Additionally, Parks hosted a public meeting in December 2017, seeking public input on the design and development of two parcels of land in the Vulture Mountains Recreation Area.
- 2018: Plan of Development (POD) created for BLM to work through the environmental assessment process and a Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) was issued.
- 2019: Maricopa County Board of Supervisors and BLM sign a lease agreement allowing Parks to enter into a Recreation and Public Purposes (R&PP) lease with the BLM Hassayampa Office to manage the two parcels (1,046-acres) of public lands in the Vulture Mountains Recreation Area.
- 2022: Contractor, WSP, will complete Phase I of the multi-phase project. Breaking ground - May 2022.
ADDITIONAL PROJECT CONTACTS:
- PHASE I: Roadways, utilities, and infrastructure –
- PHASE II: Day Use Facilities (Nature Center, picnic, trailhead, parking) – PARKS
- PHASE III: Campground – PARKS
- PHASE IV: Off-Highway Vehicle Staging Area – PARKS
NOTE: The schedule may change due to contractor staffing, equipment, and supply shortages. Updates will be provided as they come available.
PHASE I - PROJECT OVERVIEW - 2022 - 2023 - Please note this is partial timeline for the project. Additional information will be provided as it becomes available. Click on the graphic to enlarge.
PHASE II - PR0JECT TIMELINE - TBD
PHASE III - PROJECT TIMELINE - TBD
PHASE IV - PROJECT TIMELINE - TBD
PLAN OF DEVELOPMENT (POD)
Wickenburg Chamber of Commerce Quarterly Luncheon on June 20, 2019: