A fire ban has been initiated to limit the possibility of starting a brush fire, which could cause serious damage to the parks. The fire ban includes the use of:
- fire pits
- charcoal grills
- Effective June 26, smoking in Maricopa County parks is prohibited except within an enclosed vehicle or at developed recreation sites such as parking lots, picnic ramadas or campsites. Individuals who smoke in the designated areas are asked to ensure all materials are FULLY EXTINGUISHED prior to leaving the area.
The parks will stop selling firewood during this time. Violation of this park rule, Rule 113, may result in a citation. However, it is still acceptable to use gas/propane grills in designated areas such as:
- ramada areas,
- semi-developed, and developed camping sites, and
- along the shoreline at Lake Pleasant Regional Park.
A date to lift the fire ban has not been identified and will be determined by the amount of rain Maricopa County receives during the monsoon season.
The following Maricopa County parks are affected by the fire ban:
- Adobe Dam Regional Park,
- Buckeye Hills Regional Park,
- Cave Creek Regional Park,
- Estrella Mountain Regional Park
- Hasssayampa River Preserve,
- Lake Pleasant Regional Park,
- McDowell Mountain Regional Park,
- San Tan Mountain Regional Park,
- Spur Cross Ranch Conservation Area,
- Usery Mountain Regional Park, and
- White Tank Mountain Regional Park.