Permitted Use Days:
Thank you for your interest and continued support in Maricopa County Parks and Recreation Department’s ongoing effort to restore the Agua Fria Conservation Area. The Department understands that the area is considered by anglers to be a prime fishing spot during the springtime and has developed a plan to allow motorized vehicles towing small trailers/watercraft access to the shoreline for a limited time. The area is currently open daily on a walk-in basis. Opening dates for motorized vehicles are as follows:
Opening days for June 2016
|June 10 - CLOSED
The area will be open from 5:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. on the dates above.
Check website for possible changes to opening dates prior to arrival (i.e., due to weather conditions, staffing issues, etc...). Please have cash, exact change is preferred and required during times of gate closure. Check fee schedule for current park entry fees. For additional information on the area, please direct your questions to the Entry Station at (928) 501-1710.
Downloadable Copy of Flyer
Rules for Use:
To ensure a safe, enjoyable experience for all and responsible usage of the area, please observe the following rules:
- No access will be permitted within the Bald Eagle Closure areas. The closure areas are marked with buoys, fencing and signage (see map for details). Illegal access within the closure areas may result in fines, citations, other penalties, and a closure of the Agua Fria Boat Ramp area.
- The area is open from 5:30 a.m. until 12:00 p.m., unless otherwise posted. You must exit back through the entrance gate no later than 12:00 p.m., or your vehicle will be towed. No exceptions.
- Motorized travel is allowed only on the designated route. Do not depart from the one route leading to and from the designated parking area and boat launch ramp.
- Non-motorized travel only permitted on designated trails or along riverbed outside of eagle closure areas – no shoreline access west from the boat launch area.
- The accessible portion of the Lake within the Agua Fria is a no wake zone.
- No shooting allowed in the area.
- Pack it in, pack it out. Do not litter or leave trash in the area.
Seasonal Bald Eagle Closure: During certain breeding stages (courtship, mating, incubation, young nestlings and nestlings near fledging), human activity near a Bald Eagle nest can cause nest abandonment and/or failure. Established breeding area closures reduce loss by managing human activities near nest sites. Areas closed during breeding season have been highlighted on the maps below.
NOTE: The Bald Eagle Closure is typically in effect from December 15 - June 15*. Unless otherwise noted, you are asked not to access the lower arm of the Agua Fria via watercraft during this timeframe.